A set of books of celebrity essays in a wooden suitcase, edition seven. In excellent condition. The dimensions are 10″ W x 14″ D x 19″ H and the handle is 34.5″ H.
Illustrated by Robert Mapplethorpe, Francesco Scavullo, Herb Ritts, Ara Gallant, Peter Beard, Bruce Weber, Perry Berenson, et al.
Limited edition of 2000
ISBN 3 – 86521 – 023 – 6
Publisher: Edition 7L
Date published: 2004
Box Set Creative Director: Karl Lagerfeld. Box Set Design: Gerhard Steidl.
- First edition, first printing. Hardcover. Seven volumes with photographically illustrated laminated paper – covered boards, with two collector’s issues of Interview magazine (Facsimile of Vol. 1 No. 1, 1969; and Vol. 34 No. 9, 2004 35th Anniversary issue) in a photographically illustrated card slipcase; the entire publication is housed in a wheeled plywood crate with sliding lid and yellow and black printed graphics (dimension of crate: 12 – 7 / 8 x 17 x 10 inches).
- The seven volumes, each measuring 15 – 1 / 4 x 11 – 5 / 8 inches, are as follows:
- BOOK 1: THE COVERS: Facsimile reproductions of every cover of the first decade of Interview magazine. Introduction by Jeff Koons. 160 pp., with four – color plates throughout;
- BOOK 2: THE PICTURES: A selection of the best Interview magazine photo – shoots of the first decade. Introduction by Bruce Weber. 276 pp., tritone and four – color plates throughout;
- BOOK 3: THE INTERVIEWS: A selection of best interviews from the first decade of Interview magazine. Introduction by Elton John. 348 pp., with black and white illustrations throughout;
- BOOK 4: THE ANDY WARHOL INTERVIEWS: The best interviews for Interview magazine done by Warhol. Introduction by Bob Colacello. 320 pp., with black and white illustrations throughout;
- BOOK 5: THE FASHION: A selection of the best interviews with fashion designers, together with the best fashion photography of the first decade of Interview Magazine. Introduction by Karl Lagerfeld. 170 pp., with black and white illustrations throughout;
- BOOK 6: THE DIRECTORS: The best interviews with the visionary leaders of the Movie Industry. Introduction by Joel Schumacher. 148 pp., with black and white illustrations throughout;
- BOOK 7: THE BACK OF THE BOOK: Fran Lebowitz’s legendary ‘I cover the Waterfront’ columns. 64 pp., with black and white illustrations throughout. Edited by Sandra J. Brant and Ingrid Sischy. From the publisher: ‘The October 2004 edition of Interview magazine will mark 35 years of the award winning journal founded by pop art pioneer Andy Warhol. In that time it has developed from the newsletter of the Studio 54 set into the definitive guide to the most significant stars of today and tomorrow. Adopting an original format, the magazine uses recordings of question and answer sessions to reveal information about celebrities, politicians, filmmakers, musicians and literary figures. The questions are often put by another celebrity and the answers are revealing, intimate and candid. Alongside the interviews are photographs by the crème de la crème of celebrity and fashion photography – – Robert Mapplethorpe, Francesco Scavullo, Herb Ritts, Ara Gallant, Peter Beard, Bruce Weber, Perry Berenson and others – – who are given the opportunity to make some of their most challenging and original work. For 35 years Interview has offered an original perspective on the sexy, fascinating and funny people who are shaping popular culture. This collection of 7 books presents the first catalogue of the first decade of that extraordinary history and like the rare, early issues of the magazine is bound to become a valuable collector’s item.’